Jusqu’au Dernier : La Destruction des Juifs d’Europe – To The Last One: The Destruction of Europe’s Jews
– Le Holocauste, une histoire sur les Juifs qui ne concernera que les Juifs? Will the specificity of the killing of Jews remain only a Jewish story? PM –
[Utiliser logiciel qui peut lire Flash Video & VPN si nécessaire]
France 2 pendant une semaine après – available for a week afterwards on the web through VPN
Les mots d’ouverture de la série: “Près de six millions de Juifs, les deux tiers des Juifs d’Europe furent assassinés par le régime nazi et ses collaborateurs pendant la seconde guerre mondiale, assassinés dans le silence quasi complet du monde…”
Opening statement for the series: “Close to six million Jews, two thirds of European Jews were murdered by the Nazi regime and its collaborators during World War II, murdered amidst the world’s almost complete silence…”
Format 8 x 52’
Réalisation William Karel et Blanche Finger
Coproduction Zadig Productions et Looks Film, avec la participation de France Télévisions / Toute l’histoire / TV5Monde / UKTV / ZDFinfo, avec le soutien de la Fondation pour la Mémoire de la Shoah
Textes lus par Yvan Attal et Lambert Wilson
BREAK THE SURFACE
To ride the unbalance* between:
1. excellence and a kind, singular and porous identity that contains some of the scruples, humor, humility, musicality & the beauty of a harsh and confusing, yet benign and rich reality - away from distractions.
2. the stupidity and blindness of complacency, violence, injustice, pretense, egos, short-term... wishful... and group "thinking," and empty talk - in all of their surprising embodiments. And the false sense of fullness all of this provides.
An appeal for a world NOT so caught up in anthropo/ego/euro/ethno/oculo/esthetico -CENTRISM.
1. Beware of those who claim to be strong - they are often dangerous.
2. Unmask the hoax of "centrality" - ask an "EX-centric" for assistance?
3. Perceive the arrogance of normalcy: everybody, in one way or another, is handicapped... which brings us back to 1.
*Not unrelated to "There is beauty and there are the humiliated. Whatever difficulties the enterprise may present, I should like never to be unfaithful either to the second or the first." --- Albert Camus
___________________Screens Reveal AND Conceal
Presently the Unlearning Specialist at the School of No-Media, Pier Marton is a speaker/writer/artist/educator and film consultant. He was born and raised in Paris and moved to the U.S. in the early seventies to live and teach in Los Angeles, Chicago, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, San Diego, San Francisco and, more recently, St. Louis. In parallel to teaching media at major universities, his many video-art activities have included video installations, performances and documentaries (with works in prominent museums like MoMA and Beaubourg).
Both as an artist and as a teacher much of his work has focused on our consumption of images which, because of his family history, has taken him into questioning the representation of the Shoah. After spending most of his life around the avant-garde of media (i.e., video art), now that new media offers more and more a form of pseudo-challenge to the status quo, Marton wonders whether it is “no-media” that needs to be considered the next frontier; can we look beyond media and most concepts, however "practical" those may appear to be?
He is available for presentations and workshops on:
Non-Images & No-Media - Slow Cinema - Shoah and Film- Experimental Cinema and Video Art - Film Painting in Sound/Movement - Non-Violent Media - Imperfection in Film - Unclassifiable Music/Arts - Blinded by Sight - The Shoah in 1,000 Years - A Porous Reality - Secular Jews (Broken Tablets and Broken Noses) - Taking it the Hard Way - Exhilarating Creativity - and anything else that may be ignored by society at large.
Remnants from recent presentations: Images of the Other (at the School of Visual Arts Alguonquin Annual Conference), Resistance (at an annual St. Louis Yom HaShoah/Holocaust Commemoration).